Saturday, June 26, 2010

HALO

HALO - Holy Adults Living Outloud
This is a young adults "youth group" at my church. Last thursday was my first time going because I finally didn't have to work :).
I feel that God certainly orchestrated this. The message was one that I needed to hear that night.
It was based on Philipianns 4:8-9. "Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things. Whatever you have learned or received or heard from me, or seen in me—put it into practice. And the God of peace will be with you." I have been struggling a little bit these past few months with living a life that is TOTALLY dedicated to the glorification to God, my Father. Now, don't worry, I haven't tuyrned into a rebel just because I'm "on my own" now. But if you have ever been to college, you have to agree with me that the temptation to blend into the patterns of the world is very strong.
It has been specifically difficult because I have been "too busy" to get into the Bible every day, mush less every week. The pastor emphasized the importance of NOT blending in. NOT sulking into the corner when there is peer pressure to do something "because everyone is doing it." But being bold in your faith and taking every opportunity to establish your faith in Christ. He encouraged us to be wary of what's going in our minds, hearts, ears. Whatever goes in, comes out. When I don't daily put God's word into my mind, heart, thoughts, actions, what do I expect to come out of my mouth, thoughts, actions?
God, once again, hit me in the head. He has done this time and time again, as I am a silly sinner and am constantly making excuses to shy away from my part of this relationship with Christ. It hit me once again that I need to prepare myself spiritually for the future. Whatever may happen, I need to ensure that I am so strong in Christ that He gives me the power to walk uprightly, no matter what comes at me.

On the other hand, life here in Spokane is going great! I'm working more and more. Although I miss my family and friends a bunch! I'm glad That I'm here and can't wait to see what the future holds for me!!!

4 comments:

  1. GREAT verse! Thanks for sharing!


    mama :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good message, Even better thoughts on application. It is a constant battle to keep our hearts, minds, and actions held captive since it is our "default nature" to sin one we have to consciously fight everyday. Keep it up Josh, He who began a good work in you will see it through! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. One of my favorite verses, and one I often use to test my life against.

    I am very proud of the young man you have grown up to be, Josh. I'm praying for you as you live out the college adventure. May you be a light for Christ to everyone you encounter! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. NIce!. Way to be open to what God has for you now and the future. Preparing you for what ever his plans are begins by being willing to have a desire to listen to the HS. Keep listening!

    love ya Dad

    ReplyDelete

BlogPatrol Free Blog Counter